Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Allergies

It's no secret that Scott and I both had food allergies growing up...hell I am still very allergic to Soy. I was really hoping thaat maybe Landon would get lucky and he would avoid them, but yet again we are not so lucky. I took him to the doctor today b/c every time I would feed him his Portagen (Rx Formula) he would break out in this horrible rash all over his face, head, scalp, ears, back of his neck, and recently it had spread to his shoulders and chest. He would also scream bloody murder for a good hour or so, only sleep with me at night and not in his bed..well come to find out after meeting with the Pedi today that he is in fact very allergic to this formula. I can't say that I am surprised...I voiced my concerns to the Geneticist when we saw him, but he kind of blew me off about it b/c Landon had no outward signs...BUT the first ingredient in the formula is Corn Syrup Solids...well I was VERY allergic to Corn Syrup when I was little, and the formula also has soy in it...again I am still very much allergic to Soy. So we are kind of at a stand still with things for now. I am waiting on the Pedi to call me back and let me know which formula we will be using now...and he has to get ahold of the Geneticist to find out, but he did promise me that he would get back to me by the end of the day. I am secretly hoping they will just let us breast feed...but I highly doubt it. I am wondering if they will put him on Neutrmagen which is the formula I had to be on when I was a baby...it is also Rx so I doubt we will be getting away from that and the expense of it. I honestly don't care though as long as Landon is no longer in pain or itching or has this horrible rash/hives. My poor sweet baby boy, has been through WAY to much in his short 7 weeks.

On a positive note the Pedi did agree with our Alternative vaccination schedule. We will be using Dr. Sear's vaccine schedule and he said it looked like a good one and he had no problem using it, so I am relieved and happy about that. Landon starts his shots on Monday at his 2 month appt.

1 comment:

  1. You guys have been through all sorts of stuff. I hope you're able to find some answers and some stuff that works soon!

    ReplyDelete