Friday, October 31, 2008

1st Trip to Labor & Delivery

It was a very nerve racking experience. We went for the first time last night, and i would be lying if I said we both weren't nervous.

Wednesday night right as we were laying down to go to bed, I started having really bad crampin in the lower part of my uterus. It wasn't fun, but I didn't get nervous until the contractions started. I wasn't sure what they were at first, but when they would build up and I was literally saying "omg, ouch, ouch, ouch" and was practically in tears until they went away that we realized what they were. They lasted about an hour, but were not coming in consistent intervals. I waslked around, drank water, and bounced/rocked on my birthing ball. They lasted from 11:30 p.m.-12:30a.m. I layed back down and eventually fell asleep, but when I woke up the next morning and the contractions were gone, but the cramping was still there. I called the doctor and explained what had happened. They said to take it easy and if the contractions returned, The cramping got worse, or I started bleeding to head to Labor & Delivery.

Thursday: I took it easy all day, lounged around, took a nap, surfed the internet, etc. The cramping was there all day. Starting around 4:00 p.m. I started getting really sharp pains in my abdomen and the cramping was more intense, especially when I would move around. I ttold Scott about it, we monitored it to see if it would go away, etc. At 7:45 p.m. Scott convinced me to call the doctor. The on-call doctor that shares on-calls times with my OB called back. We explained everything to her, and she said to head to Labor and Delivery. They wanted to make sure there was nothing else going on, especially pre-term labor.

Once we arrived at L&D we got checked in, they make you pee in a cup, etc. They hooked me up to the belly monitors. We were able to hear Landon's heart beat the entire time, and they monitored me to see if I was contracting. No contracting, thank God and Landon's heart beat they said was great. They checked my cervix and it was closed tight so I wasn't dialating. They ran a few tests and came back.

They said the contractions were Braxton Hicks, they usually aren't that painful but can be. They told me that since we are nearing the end and our in the 3rd trimester that they will be coming alot more frequently, it when they are timeable and consistent that we need to come back, ASAP. They said the cramping and intense pain in my abdomen was from both Landon and my Uterus growing, and it will be pretty common from here on out. Also, I was slightly dehydrated and need to drink alot more water. I thought I was drinking alot, but I am not used to being in the Desert and upping my water in-take because of it.

All in all they said everything was good. Landon looked Great (which is the important part) and I was doing well. They told me to take it slow from here on out, since the Braxton Hicks Contractions were that painful. Sarah, our nurse was awesome. I am glad that we went b/c now Scott and I feel so relieved that we know everything with Landon looks great. I hope to not see them again until at least January. We go on Tuesday to our regularly scheduled OB appt, so we will get to check on him again then too.